Shikkui Plaster (城かべ) is a traditional and innovative Japanese lime plaster made of slaked lime of high calcium purity, seaweed extracts, natural plant fiber and other natural aggregates. It has been widely used throughout Japan for both internal and external walls of houses, temples and castles, as well as for ceilings and decorative purposes for over one thousand years. Shikkui combines the reliability of a time-tested material with cutting edge engineering to deliver a surface coating system unmatched in beauty, versatility, durability, and health.
All Shikkui products are Cradle to Cradle certified (Silver) by MBDC for a higher standard of healthy and environmentally-responsible design. There are five categories of criteria for certification which were designed to align with the Cradle to Cradle principles: Material Health, Material Reutilization, Renewable Energy Use, Water Stewardship, and Social Responsibility. In order to achieve certification at a certain level, the product and manufacturing processes must meet the criteria at that level in all five categories. This certification is awarded only to products designed with the health of people and the planet in mind. See detail here: http://shikkui.com/C2C.html. Tagawa Sangyo Co. is currently working towards gold certification.
- No-shrink and no-expansion for an extremely durable zero-maintenance finish for the life of the substrate
- Moisture-resistant, vapor-permeable, and humidity-regulating
- Naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal
- Exceptional light reflection qualities
- Sound dampening and insulating qualities
- Non-flammable, Class A, 0 fire rating
Healthy and Environmentally Responsible
- Certified Cradle to Cradle Silver
- Non-toxic and zero VOC-emitting
- Naturally antistatic and hypoallergenic
- Neutralizes harmful VOCs such as Formaldehyde, and breaks down Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) and Ammonia (NH3), common byproducts of gypsum construction.
- Up to 50% recycled rapidly-renewable pre-consumer eggshells, an abundant source of high-grade calcium carbonate.
- Up to an additional 25% recycled post-consumer aggregates for textured and stone effect surfaces.
- 100% recyclable
- Low embodied energy
- Can contribute toward 11 LEED credits in the following categories: MR-1 (Building Reuse), MR-2 (Construction Waste Management), MR-4 (Recycled Content), MR-6 (Rapidly Renewable Materials), IEQ 4 (Low-Emitting Materials) and ID-1 (Innovation in Design).
- Manufactured under strict water stewardship practices.
Shikkui Finish Options:Enhance your walls’ functionality and customize your design with natural aggregates.
Humidty Control: The inclusion of diatomite, microscopic plant fossils, in your Shikkui application greatly enhances shikkui natural ability to regulate humidity and temperature. Studies by PanaHome of Japan show that Tagawa Sangyo’s diatomite reduces relative humidity by up to 30% better than wallpaper (Comparative Study on Diatomite, PanaHome, 2010).
Air Purification: Actively improve indoor air quality with a catalytic topcoat. This application absorbs and breaks down toxins commonly emitted from carpets, furniture, and construction materials such as ammonia, formaldehyde, and hydrogen sulfide.
Inclusions: Seashells, leaves and other artifacts can be embedded to reflect the inhabitants’ unique style.
Tagawa Sangyo Co. Website Link